Tuesday 29 September 2015

Perch PB and "it's a wrap" ...


When the Reverend EC Alston (who for a while held both the British tench and rudd records simultaneously) died in 1977 his obituary in The Times stated that "he will be remembered as one of the last great sporting parsons", and while fellow church minister Stewart Bloor and I may not quite be in the late Reverend Alston's league, we are trying to do our bit for the reputation of "revs who fish."
 
Today our fishing was a pleasing mixing of business with pleasure, as we fished a Shropshire Pool in the company of Dave, a cameraman and filmmaker for Christian Vision for Men (CVM). Stewart and I, along with a small group of helpers, formed UK Christian Anglers (www.christiananglers.co.uk) last year, and CVM approached us about working on a filming project which combined us fishing and talking about our faith. The weather was gloriously and mercifully sunny, and as the mist rose from the water at first light we knew we were going to be in for a good morning.
 
 
We shared a swim, which, as well as aiding the film-making process also ensured the conversation and banter was able to flow freely. Stewart opted to fish to an island with two carp rods, PVA bags and his favourite strawberry jam pop-ups, while I chose to floatfish with maggots under a 3bb reed waggler. My reel was one of my trusty centre pins.
 
 
Sport on the float was brisk, and I was soon into a succession of tiny perch and gudgeon, with the odd better perch, bream or roach punctuating the steady flow of greedy tiddlers. Stewart had to wait slightly longer, but his first fish, when it came, proved not to be the anticipated carp, but a plucky chub with a sweet tooth.
 
 
We did a number of bits to camera, answering questions about our own individual journeys to faith, the work of UK Christian Anglers and talking about fishing clubs run by churches (regular readers of this blog will know that my own church has its own thriving angling club), but when I was in full, expansive, loquacious conversational flow, Stewart's bite alarm intruded and he landed a welcome, but small common.
 
 
Stewart also added another chub, but the best, in true filming style, was saved till last. I needed to be back in Leicester, Dave the cameraman was travelling on to visit relatives and Stewart (who as well as his church and fishing commitments is chaplain to a professional football team) had a match to attend and footballing radio show to present, and so it was agreed that we would pack up at around 1pm. At 12:30 my float dipped, skidded along the surface and then buried, and my firm strike met solid resistance. I suspected a chub (it certainly wasn't a carp), but after a few short runs, and with the match rod taking on a nice battle curve, a monstrous perch broke the surface. Instantly I knew that if it made it to the net it would be a new PB, and it was with a deep sense of relief that I guided the fish into the net that Stewart capably wielded for me. The digital scales showed a weight of 2 pounds 5 ounces, the perfect end to what had been a wonderful morning. I suspect the finished film will show me grinning like an idiot as I removed the hook, but I really won't care .... some things are so good that they're worth a brief loss of dignity. "Lights, camera, action" .... we'll need to do it again sometime.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment