Thursday 7 March 2013

"Sounds like a plan ..."

Today was a case of mixing "business" with "pleasure."
 If you were to ask me what three things define me as a person and really "float my boat" they'd be my faith, my family and my fishing. Faith and family are pretty well integrated both at home and at church, family and fishing isn't too bad (my daughter used to fish until she discovered make-up, clothes and boyfriends, while my son remains my most regular fishing companion, and I try to fish with my brothers and nephews every year despite the distances between where we live), but I've never really "cracked" integrating my faith with my fishing, which was why I drove the 60 miles this morning to get together with Stewart Bloor.


If you've never heard of Stewart Bloor check out his website (Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal) which has an enormous following and is updated weekly. Stewart is a well known and respected personality in Black Country angling circles and has a number of sponsorship tie-ups with fishing manufacturers, and, unlike me (I should be far better at it considering I've been fishing for over three decades!) he's a highly accomplished angler. He's also, like me, a minister of a church.

We met to talk about the possibility - which following our conversation was upgraded to a "must do"- of setting up some kind of Christian Anglers Organisation here in the UK.
We were thinking websites, forums, social media and some kind of regional or local presence with the potential for fishing retreats, get togethers and the like for Christian anglers, or anglers who want to explore some of the bigger questions of life and faith.

So far we're only in the earliest stages of talking, but are looking to get a few other like-minded contacts together to try to steer the idea from vision to implementation.

An impossible dream?
I don't think so- after all, there's good precedent:  look what Jesus managed to pull off with a small bunch of motivated fishermen!


1 comment:

  1. Jon, if I can be of any assistance let me know. Years ago I helped start a hunting ministry that is still going on even though I have moved on. I am also interested in starting a "christian fishing club" of sorts here in Michigan USA in the next few years. I am full of ideas if you want to share what you have I may have some feedback or ideas for you and maybe you can help me with my future plans.

    ReplyDelete