Tuesday 20 November 2012

On getting lucky ...




HT Sherringham wrote of carp fishing in 1911 : "So far as my experience goes, it is certain that good luck is the most vital part of the equipment of him who would seek to slay big carp. For some men I admit the usefullness of skill and pertinacity, for myself, I take my stand entirely on luck. To the novice I would say 'cultivate your luck' ..."
Now, Sherringham was one of the foremost anglers of his time, and so the the piece deserves to be read in the light-hearted manner it was intended, but it got me thinking about the part "luck" plays in angling.

We've all bristled at the well-meaning bank-walker's question "Had any luck, mate?", and wanted to launch ourselves into an impassioned piece of oratory about the skill required to be sucessful in "the gentle art", but as I pondered on Sherrigham's dictum I realised that three of my own personal bests were caught by accident while fishing for other species of fish, and therefore might be seen as "lucky fish".


A roach of about a pound (with possibly a hint of bream?) "fluked" on carp gear 
 
My biggest roach, not a giant, but at 1 lb 12 oz a "good effort", was caught while fishing for carp, using boilies, bolt rigs and tackle that ensured that the ensuing fight was less than spectacular, while my best ever perch was caught on a plug intended for pike, and my biggest zander fell to a livebait while again targetting old esox.
 
My personal best zander caught while pike fishing
 
So, was Sherringham right? I guess we have to concede to him a degree of truth, luck does play a part, but over the course of time a part that is of lesser significance than skill, technique, experience and above all "watercraft". What also seems indisputable is the fact that the "luckiest" anglers also seem to be the hardest working and most skilful.
 
As for me, the way things have been with my fishing of late, I'll take whatever "luck" I can get, but I suspect the secret to turning my fortunes around will have more to do with effort than random chance. Perhaps "cultivate your luck" is a euphemism for keeping persevering, and so as I take my leave, I'll wish you all "tight lines and good luck" and leave you to interpret the salutation as best you see fit.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment