Friday 22 June 2012

Singing in the rain ...



After several days of balmy weather it was back to June as we've come to know it this year, the rain falling veangefully from a dark sky accompanied by blustery winds. Undeterred, although predictably disappointed, I loaded the car and was  at the estate lake by 7:30am for another session targetting its tail-thumping, elastic stretching crucians. My goal for the season is a two pounder, and on my previous session I'd managed half a dozen fish up to a pound, this time an immensely enjoyable session turned out to be more about quantity than quality, with 31 crucians coming to the net (along with about a dozen roach and rudd) in just three hours. Feeding a small pinch of maggots every put-in, I fished tight to the marginal reeds just yards from the bank, presenting double maggots on a size 20 hook to 2.5 lb mainline and a 2lb bottom using a short pole. Action was frantic, with crucians coming steadily to the bank, and although they were all in the quarter to half pound size bracket they gave a game account of themselves on the light tackle. I returned home wet, no nearer to my two pound target but happy that the inclement weather had failed to either ruin the sport or dampen my spirits. Now for that two pounder ....






No comments:

Post a Comment