Monday 27 August 2018

Giving the fish some stick

In common with most anglers I own an array of fishing rods. Rods for spinning, float-fishing and  ledgering, carp rods, match rods, pike rods, poles, rods made of cane, carbon and glass. A recent  survey of my "rod room" shows  I currently posses eighteen rods, far fewer than I once owned, but (in contrast to what I tell my wife) far more than I actually need. Recently, while in conversation on a Facebook page reserved for "traditionalist anglers" an acquaintance reminded me that, when all's said and done, even the most aesthetically glorious cane rod is "just a stick" before admitting that he himself was addicted to them, and had an ever growing collection of "just sticks."

And so, here are a few of my favourite (fish bothering) "sticks"- rods that in some cases I've almost anthropomorphised and ascribed "personalities" to, and that have acquired a worth to me that far transcends mere economic value.

Cane rods


Despite my well known penchant for fishing with vintage tackle, my collection of cane rods is less than extensive, (expense plays no little part in this state of affairs!) but each of the three cane rods I own is a treasured possession.

Supreme among them is a perfectly restored Allcocks Wizard in mint condition. Capable of landing fish to a decent size (unlike the tiny perch it is pictured with below!) I acquired it at the end of last year as a farewell present from the congregation of the church I was Vicar of for a decade. To date it has only had one outing to the bank, as much of my fishing this year has carried the possibility of inadvertently tangling with large carp, and the thought of my most highly prized "stick" becoming kindling is one I'm not ready yet to even contemplate! The Wizard (an early Gold Label version) is a thing of beauty, older in years than I am, and one which I hope will remain a joy forever.


An altogether more delicate cane wand is my Aspindale Thamesdale float rod which, unusually for its length, is a two piece with a detachable handle. Split cane, and with a profusion of lovely intermediate whippings, it has proved itself to be capable of handling small to medium sized tench with ease and is a delightful tool with which to target fish of modest proportions, aesthetically attractive and purposefully practical.


My third and final cane rod is a stout and short (8 foot) carp or pike stalking rod. Unbranded, and of unknown original provenance, this is another lovingly restored "stick", and one that has proved its worth with carp on commercial type fisheries. With scarlet whippings and an eye pleasing patina, matched with a Mitchell 300 it makes an ideal instrument for margin fishing, and has also been pressed into service, with some success, in the pursuit of jack pike on my local canal.


Vintage glass rods



Due to the average high size of many of the fish that have been stocked to swim in our lakes and ponds these days, and as my preference tends to be for float fishing, fibreglass rods from the 60's and 70's allow me to pursue my traditionalist path with minimal risk of damage to equipment, wallet or emotions!
Glass rods are also part of my "story", and enable me to connect with my own angling past. I began fishing in 1981, an era which was already post cane, but all of my earliest rods were glass fibre and not dissimilar to the vintage examples I purchase today, and at around £40.00 for a decent condition 35-50 year old glass rod, even if one were to break (unlikely as glass fibre is almost indestructible) it wouldn't be as calamitous as hearing the ominous crack of a disintegrating Allcocks Wizard!


Most frequently seen on the bank from among my glass rods is a float rod made by the now defunct North London rod building firm of Rodrill. Despite bearing the name "The Kite" this is the only Rodrill manufactured glass rod that I have seen that doesn't bear a transfer with an artist painted logo of a bird. A handsome rod with green whippings it has become something of a "go to" for my float fishing adventures.


Also a favourite in the glass "all rounder" category is an un-named avon style rod. Shorter than the Rodrill offering and with more of a "through action",  the deep brown blank paired with orange whippings is quintessentially 1970's in its styling. This is a classic utility rod equally comfortable being employed as a float or light leger rod.


Last of the glass rods to receive a special  "mention in despatches" is one which only recently came into my possession and is yet to be used, but that I suspect will earn its place as a firm favourite. A light carp rod from the stable of Thames Ditton rod makers ET Barlow and Son, and sporting their famous cartoon perch logo, the rod hearkens back to an age of carp fishing innocence, and my hope is to pursue its designated quarry with it at least once before this year's summer finally gives way to Autumn.

Carbon fibre rods

Despite mostly choosing to employ vintage rods in my day to day angling, I have in my collection more carbon rods than those manufactured from any other material, and while most are clinical, efficient, functional and rather nondescript in appearance there are three that have a special place in my affections, two of which are both unique and "works of art".


First among these is a 6 and a half foot spinning rod custom made for me by my American friend and professional rod builder Don Morse. This lightweight rod features on its blank my name written  in script, a copy of an Icthus fish tattoo that I have  inked onto the inside of my left arm, and the God's Country Camouflage pattern on the butt section between the abbreviated cork handles. A delight to use, the rod has coped admirably with pike to close to 20 pounds.


The next rod to feature elevates the notion of bespoke fishing tool to  whole new level. Not only is it handmade and custom built, it also features in a book and was built for me by top international rod builder Nuno Paulino from Portugal without my knowledge and shipped overseas to me.  The rod is in a rich deep purple colour scheme and has Da Vinci's "Last Supper" and other religious art woven into the blank, which is accentuated with silver crosses and black and silver marbling. In the book, "Inspirations", Nuno writes "the word inspiration takes on a higher meaning when crafting a rod for a member of the English clergy. The theme becomes one with  a deep personal meaning for both client and craftsman."
The rod is given an annual outing to the bank, as it would be an insult to the rod not to use it, but likewise it would seem equally disrespectful to subject it to the regular hurly-burly of fishing for carp. This is a rod to cherish and treasure and, one day, to pass on to subsequent generations of anglers in the family.


The final carbon rod worthy of individual attention is one imbued with sentimental value; a 50th birthday present from my brothers Andy and Tim, with whom I have shared many angling adventures since our childhood, my Korum barbel rod, with its cork handle and through action looks and feels just like a barbel rod should. It casts well, has landed fish into double figures and has also doubled up as a margin rod for carp. This is a rod which will receive serious use over coming years and is already installed as a firm favourite.

"Just sticks?"
Well, yes ....... and no, and if you're an angler, you'll know exactly what I mean.

To view examples of Nuno Paulino's custom built rods visit his website at http://www.7evenrods.com/en/the-builder/

No comments:

Post a Comment