Saturday 21 November 2015

Ian Lewis handmade predator floats


I've never previously penned any product reviews on my blog, largely because I've never claimed to be anything other than a very average angler; passionate, addicted, mad keen, but in terms of ability only ordinary. However two things have caused me to change my mind: (1) If Matt Hayes or John Wilson write a product review the product is being endorsed by an angler with the watercraft, experience and intuitive fish catching ability that would enable them to empty a river or lake using a cane pole and a bent pin. If, on the other hand, I write a review there's every chance that the reader is- at the very least- as proficient as me, and quite probably better. If I can achieve good results with a product anyone can. (2) I'm such a fan of Ian's floats that they deserve to be commended to others. One last thing that needs saying- I am not a sponsored angler, and have no commercial link up with Ian; I write merely as a keen purchaser and user of the floats that he painstakingly makes in the traditional way. The photo above shows some of my collection of his predator floats, but I will limit this review to the two styles that I most commonly use for my piking.
 
 
The photo above shows three of Ian's standard pike slider floats. A style of float known by all predator anglers these are simplicity itself to fish. A stop knot and bead (or its modern equivalent the plastic float stop) sets the depth, a Fox sinker or heavy shot adds weight and a wire trace completes the set up. The line slides through the centre of the float, and the whole thing can be set up and fishing in minutes. Ian's floats utilise balsa, come in a range of sizes, and are available either in plain varnished balsa style or painted in a British Racing Green colour. I have both, and can confirm that they look equally stunning. More importantly, the float does exactly what you'd expect it to do when a livebait is bobbing away beneath it, and when a pike runs with the bait.


The other float from Ian's predator range that I have used is his newly offered "American style" pike slider, which is basically a refinement of the original. Attractively presented in a two tone balsa and Racing Green colour scheme, this float has the central hole as an insert that protrudes at both the tip and the base of the float. In every other way it is identical to the original pike slider, and this has become my pike float of choice.


I have also recently taken delivery of a float described as a cork Zander slider (although it would be equally good for pike if used with a small bait), which I have not yet had an opportunity to put to the test. However, it, along with Ian's other pike floats which include traditional bung-shaped offerings and an exquisite  looking copy of a vintage pike float, appears to be lovingly made, and I'm confident it would do everything asked of it.


Predator floats are only a small part of what Ian makes. As one of the country's few fulltime, professional floatmakers he has an extensive range of river and lake floats, avons, wagglers, perch bobs and the like, all made to traditional styles using reed, quill, cork and balsa. I almost exclusively use his floats for my general coarse fishing, and a 3BB scorched waggler has been my "go to" float for most of this season and has accounted for personal best perch and golden orfe this year. Check out his full range of floats at www.handmadefishingfloats.co.uk

In summary, Ian's predator range are functional and effective in use, and have far more character than any float from a mass produced plastic range. I've used them and caught on them, and would recommend them to any angler, as well as suggesting that any fisherman could do a lot worse than to peruse  Ian's website for their general float fishing needs, too- however, be warned: you may end up with a "wish list" of alarming proportions!

 

1 comment:

  1. They are indeed stunning; a work of art.

    ReplyDelete